Charlotte Perkins Gilman, "The Yellow Wallpaper," English 130, Spring 2021
Read and annotate Charlotte Perkins Gilman’s short story “The Yellow Wallpaper”:
You are responsible for writing three annotations (50-75 words each) and responding to two annotations (25-50 words each) from your peers.
Your annotations should be analytical in nature and address two or more of the following questions concerning the significance of the setting in Charlotte Gilman’s “The Yellow Wallpaper”:
• What is the setting in the story? Does it have any symbolic significance?
• What kind of mood does the setting establish?
• How does the setting create and/or shape conflict(s) that unfold(s) in the story?
• What does the setting reveal about the main character?
• How does the setting affect the main character's personality and actions?
• Is the setting in Gilman's story just a setting or a character in its own right?